Emily's the knitter, Clare's the spinner, and we both like cocktails!

Friday 4 August 2006

Did she really?

Oh yes, Katydid.

I was really lucky on the Dye-o-rama swap - not only did I get lovely yarn from Squid-knits Devorah, but I also won a fab present from Wendy at Intertwinement!

I could choose something form her website, where she has insect (or bug, for you North-Americans) related yarn (think butterflies, ladybirds - our name for ladybugs). Also, she has Portrait of a girl/boy/man/woman yarns.

But I chose Katydid yarn. I loved the vibrant green, which reminded me of those shield beetles we see here, but also it reminded me of the Susan Coolidge books 'What Katy Did', and the follow-ups (What Katy Did at School, What Katy Did Next, Clover), books I loved as a child. And Wendy very kindly sent me a soundbite of katydids, which seem to be a kind of grasshopper. Neither of us could hear the sound 'katydid', but perhaps that's because we weren't in the south sitting rocking on a creaking porch with a mint julep glistening with condensation, a warm breeze and ..............

I look forward to it some day!

2 comments:

Alice said...

Love that green.

wendy said...

Thank so much for the kind words.