Emily's the knitter, Clare's the spinner, and we both like cocktails!

Wednesday 6 September 2006

Swatching for wedding stole


So, my cousin is getting married in January (she last did this when she was 18, all round disaster, hopefully better now in her 30s! I haven't met the guy, but her Ps like him as do mine, so the signs are all good!) She seems to have got summer frocks for herself and her 3 'flowergirls' (when did it stop being bridesmaids?) My niece is to be one of them, in a sleeveless nylon (it looks on the email) cream frock; I think she'll be cold so have offered to make a shawl for her, and also one for the cousin.

Should have been writing an essay on mortality yesterday, and did do some reading, but then a bit of swatching. Oh, and buying cashmere on-line for it... hope the colour will be ok, cousin's dress apparently pink, unable to send me a sample, though. Anyway, I had a shuftie through some of the lace in Barbara Walker's pattern books, thought hearts would be approopriate. I haven't pictured my first swatch of just the main pattern done as written, in stocking stitch; I don't want there to be a right/wrong side to this stole, so I've changed it to garter sticth. might have to do the same to the edging - which, by the way, I think I'll just add to the ends - and either try to rewrite the body pattern with a wavey edge, another nice but straight edge, or add a simple narrow knitted on edging. I think this one is too big for all the way round.

What do you think? This last picture is the photochopped version of the edging on an end.