Emily's the knitter, Clare's the spinner, and we both like cocktails!

Monday 9 June 2008

WIPs I'm aware of

I thought I'd post a bit about the things that are currently in progress (other than the Pi R Squared), and make some vague plans re: what I will be working on next!
1) The Twisted Float Shrug from Annie Modesitt (scroll down and you can download the pattern from her site). Here it is on Ravelry, and here are some pics of where I'm up to - 1.25 sleeves complete, and I think I need to do 3 more pattern repeats on the main rounds. Which doesn't sound too bad, except it keeps on getting bigger! I'm loving the colours of Debbie Bliss MAya that I'm using, it will of course end up subtle and understated as is my wont.
Twisted Float Shrug back
2) Silver Chunks - this is mainly based on Miss Twiss's Knit in Chunks version of a popular Pringle sweater from a year or so ago; however, I used different cables, different yarns, increased differently etc. I also used 3 needle sizes - 4mm with a single strand of Rowanspun Aran (in Hardy) for the yoke cable with which it starts; double-stranded yarn and 4.5mm for the neck portion, and double stranded with 5mm for the body. I used cables from the Silver Belle Debbie Bliss freebie pattern from the VK silver anniversary edition, but reworked them and changed them somewhat. Very pleased! And this is all but done - I need to remove the gorgeous big wooden button (courtesy of C's parents and a lovely shop in Leura, Blue Mountains) and re-sew it more tightly so it doesn't droop. Then, ta-da!
Silver Chunks
3) Noro Kureyon sock yarn socks - reworking of the toe-up purl-less Monkey's I've done before. But longer. And looser (using 2.75mm needles, unheard of for me - this is not a v elastic yarn). ! am 1.5 socks through - these are my carry-around knitting.Kureyon socks/div>
4) Honeybee Stole - from Anne Hanson of Knitspot. Using Fybrespates silk laceweight (which Jen doesn't seem to have any more, though she has the same caramel choc colourway in her Faerywool cobweb merino, which looks luscious). This is really on hold for the warmer months.
IMG_1912
5) Secret of Chrysopolis - half way through this before I left home in January, and had to  leave it behind among other things as our cases were seriously overweight. Has just come out with C's ps, needs re-commencing. half way through, with luscious Malabrigo laceweight.
secret of chrysopolis
6) Water-lover socks for C - Kate Gilbert's Marina Piccola pattern. Lovely.Waterlover sockHaven't finished first sock. Needs to be next carry-around sock. My own koolaid dyed opal sock yarn.
7) Fiesta socks from a pattern by Lucy Neatby. I am doing these in Opal Uni dark brown and a Cherry tree Hill poltuck. Lovely, mad, will probably wear them...
Fiesta socks
8)Ellie the Elephant, Ysolda's lovely pattern. Just one leg and two arms to go... Using mondiale bizzarre in greys and browns. I love him!
IMG_1905
9) Mitred Rainbow  (Mags Kandis) has totally ground to a halt. So boring to do! I might adapt and do some garter stripes etc. as not sure I have Brenda's staying power.
Modern quilt wrap 1234 a
10) Joe is a pattern from the House of Hemp in Cornwall. I WILL do it... 
And I have so many things part thought through etc. I do plan to get going now!
IMG_0073

6 comments:

J. said...

I love the socks! And the silver chunks sweater! And the stole!

You've been busy.

Octopus Knits said...

Wow! Those are some seriously great WIPs!

Anonymous said...

On a recent stash toss/WIP review, I abandoned the Mags Kandis shawl--had carried it with me for 3 transatlantic flights without ever working on it! It's not meant to be for me--I wonder if it might be the most UFO of all...

Emily said...

grannypurple: (sorry can't email you) It is a maddening knit, isn't it? But I do like the colours - thinking I might use what I've done and extend it with stripes - like a vibrant version of that Earth Stripes pattern lots have done. We'll see!

florencemary said...

You have some really lovely stuff on the go, Emily. I'm kind of salivating...

Jen at Fyberspates really produces some wonderful yarn.

TutleyMutley said...

God, that is some lovely knitting there. You don't seem to do average.
I lurv the silver chunks and the lace and the elephant etc etc etc.

I was supposed to be going to the hOuse of Hemp in a fortnight, but now I'm working. Blah. work keeps getting in the way. what will those beautiful colours become?