Emily's the knitter, Clare's the spinner, and we both like cocktails!

Saturday 15 January 2011

two new projects (ummmm)

So, I've finished my lovely Shur'tugal socksshur'tugal on
shur'tugal front
shur'tugal heels

Knitabulous yarn, socktopus pattern.

I really do love these socks, might knit them again.

Anyway, I followed these by casting on another Daybreak shawl for Clare from the Old Maiden Aunt yarn I bought in Stirling last year - superwash merino in Lon-dubh (blackbird) and jasper.
daybreak old maiden aunt WIP

daybreak old maiden aunt detail

BUT I am going to knit something else first - new to my stash but not bought by me...

Clare is part of a brilliant scheme by Diane Mulholland, called Spintelligence. Clare gets a parcel of fibre every 2 months with instructions so she's learnt LOTS from Diane 9I think she may carry on for another 6/12 if she can).

Here's her yarn - it's 20bamboo/80merino fibre from Artist's Palette Yarns. She had to spin it then overply it as a two ply to try to make a strong sock yarn. She played with the colours - one ply is more striping than the other.
Here it is just skeined:
clare yarn skein detail 3

And here I've balled it.
clare yarn ball 2

I'm going to use it for my godmother's 60th birthday present (end of Jan!) in some cuffs - Anne Hanson's Elm Leaves, I think. Should be gorgeous.

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Isn't that hand-spun beautiful! You're so lucky to have a yarn producer in-house!

LynS said...

Clare is just so multi-talented. The yarn looks beautiful.

I love the colours you're using for the Daybreak Shawl. I also have some of the Old Maiden Aunt yarn, fortunately in the same lovely charcoal grey though unfortunately not in a variegated colour-way, and was thinking of using it for a Stephen West project - maybe 'Clockwork'.

Anonymous said...

well i take back every nasty thing i ever said about shurtugals cos yours are absolutely perfect. the best colour ive seen so far, just awesome!