Emily's the knitter, Clare's the spinner, and we both like cocktails!

Wednesday 14 November 2007

UK Stitch'n Bitch

Had a great time at this day put on by Knitonthenet and the Iknit London peeps. I went with my S-i-L (her birthday treat) and we had a cool time.

Here's the marketplace (S bought a 5 skeins of scrumptious - 45% silk, 55% BFL - from Jen of Fyberspates in red/purple, and my Ps (in the guise of me) bought her another 5 in in a beautiful blue/green. I got 4 skeins of DK superwash merino in rust/teal/pink to make a jumper for a new baby due at the end of the year.



S also got a skein of sock weight yarn in a wonderful wedgwood blue from the Oxford Kitchen yarns stall - which was beautiful BTW - the top left skein just here... They're all natural dye colours, and they go together bee-yootifully, like Edinburgh rock.


















Jane Waller was present with all the jumpers from her 1940s book - she was very friendly and helpful, and I was enthused to knit some of the patterns form the book (which I have).














I also really enjoyed the Missability stall in the project area - I've written before about this website and podcast - do go, download the podcasts and consider joining the competition to design and knit a walking stick cosy - either purely practical but individual, or as wacky as you like! The ones they had on the stall were fabulous and inspiring. S is going to knit a cosy for her Nan's stick so she can show off in her Residential Home, and I want to develop one too. Have a few ideas...

The entertainment was great - though sometimes hard to hear, being just at one end of the large hall form the Marketplace - we missed the poet and the start of Girl and Dean, the comedy duo, but loved the part of their show that we did hear, as well as the wonderful Shellac Sisters - a


40s-dressed glamourous group who have a series of wind up gramophones and old music on original 78s - but run them together like modern DJs. Cool and inspiring!


















A Shellac Sister knits...

All in all a great day!

1 comment:

Barb said...

SO jealous!

Although I got to go to Rhinebeck......